What does the Queensland Retirement Village and Park Advice Service do?
The Queensland Retirement Village and Park Advice Service (QRVPAS) is a free legal service that aims to help residents:
- understand their rights and responsibilities under the Retirement Villages Act 1999 (Qld) and the Manufactured Homes (Residential Parks) Act 2003 (Qld)
- obtain the knowledge and skills to present their interests to village and park operators and resolve disputes
- have increased access to appropriate legal information and advice.
To access the service, please call Caxton Legal Centre on (07) 3214 6333 during office hours and asked to be booked into a QRVPAS advice appointment.
Who does QRVPAS help?
QRVPAS can assist residents (or prospective residents) of manufactured home parks or retirement villages in Queensland.
QRVPAS is particularly focused on helping disadvantaged and vulnerable residents of retirement villages and manufactured home parks.
Please note: QRVPAS cannot assist with disputes between residents, but another community legal centre may be able to assist.
How can QRVPAS help me?
Clients who require complex assistance may be eligible for individual help, or help as a group of residents including legal advice and ongoing support.
The focus of legal assistance is on steps you can take to resolve a dispute at an early stage.
If some cases, QRVPAS may be able to engage in negotiations with a park or village operator on your behalf, provide guidance and assistance through the dispute resolution process and assist with court representation in exceptional circumstances.
Free community legal information sessions
The QRVPAS team presents free legal information sessions to the community on topics including:
- Retirement Living Options – an overview of the different accommodation options for people considering where to live in retirement (with a focus on key legal features of manufactured home parks and retirement villages)
- Living in a Retirement Village – an in-depth discussion of residents’ rights and responsibilities under the Retirement Villages Act 1999 (Qld)
- Living in a Manufactured Home Park – an in-depth discussion of homeowners’ rights and responsibilities under the Manufactured Homes (Residential Parks) Act 2003 (Qld).
Please note: remaining face-to-face information sessions scheduled for 2020 are not currently going ahead. Updates about online information sessions will be provided over the coming weeks.
If you would like to arrange a talk for your park, village or community group, please contact QRVPAS on (07) 3214 6333 to discuss our availability.
The following legal information videos are also available
Who we can help – the Queensland Retirement Village and Park Service
Introduction to manufactured home parks in Queensland
Establishing and running a home owners committee in Queensland
Site rent increases in manufactured home parks in Queensland
Market rent review in manufactured home parks in Queensland
Dispute resolution in manufactured home parks in Queensland
Seeking a site rent reduction in a manufactured home park in Queensland
Negotiating with the park owner in Queensland
Moving out of a manufactured home park in Queensland
Introduction to retirement villages in Queensland
Establishing and running a residents committee in Queensland
General services charges fund and maintenance reserve fund in retirement villages in Queensland
Leaving a retirement village in Queensland
Dispute resolution in retirement villages in Queensland
Retirement living options in Queensland
Disputes and meetings in retirement villages and manufactured home parks in Queensland
Misleading and deceptive conduct in retirement villages and manufactured home parks in Queensland
The Queensland Retirement Village and Park Advice Service is a program within the Human Rights and Civil Law Practice.