What does the Queensland Retirement Village and Park Advice Service do?
The Queensland Retirement Village and Park Advice Service (QRVPAS) is a free legal service that aims to help residents:
- understand their rights and responsibilities under the Retirement Villages Act 1999 (Qld) and the Manufactured Homes (Residential Parks) Act 2003 (Qld)
- obtain the knowledge and skills to present their interests to village and park operators and resolve disputes
- have increased access to appropriate legal information and advice.
To access the service, please call Caxton Legal Centre on (07) 3214 6333 during office hours and asked to be booked into a QRVPAS advice appointment.
Who does QRVPAS help?
QRVPAS can assist residents (or prospective residents) of manufactured home parks or retirement villages in Queensland.
QRVPAS is particularly focused on helping disadvantaged and vulnerable residents of retirement villages and manufactured home parks. To see if we can help you with your specific legal problem and to find out if you are eligible for the QRVPAS service, please read our eligibility guidelines.
Please note: QRVPAS cannot assist with disputes between residents, but another community legal centre may be able to assist.
How can QRVPAS help me?
Clients who require complex assistance may be eligible for individual help, or help as a group of residents including legal advice and ongoing support.
The focus of legal assistance is on steps you can take to resolve a dispute at an early stage.
If some cases, QRVPAS may be able to engage in negotiations with a park or village operator on your behalf, provide guidance and assistance through the dispute resolution process and assist with court representation in exceptional circumstances.
Free community legal information sessions
The QRVPAS team presents free legal information sessions to the community on topics including:
- Retirement Living Options – an overview of the different accommodation options for people considering where to live in retirement (with a focus on key legal features of manufactured home parks and retirement villages)
- Living in a Retirement Village – an in-depth discussion of residents’ rights and responsibilities under the Retirement Villages Act 1999 (Qld)
- Living in a Manufactured Home Park – an in-depth discussion of homeowners’ rights and responsibilities under the Manufactured Homes (Residential Parks) Act 2003 (Qld).
If you would like to arrange a talk for your park, village or community group, please contact QRVPAS on (07) 3214 6333 to discuss our availability.
Legal self-help information
There are many things to consider before moving into a retirement village or buying a manufactured home and moving into a manufactured home park.
To inform yourself about how to navigate through complex contracts and what to expect in terms of potential financial implications, rules, regulations and responsibilities, take a look at our comprehensive list of self-help resources including easy-to-understand information videos.
The Queensland Retirement Village and Park Advice Service is a program within the Human Rights and Civil Law Practice.