Position: Director – Family, Domestic Violence and Elder Law
Classification: Level 8 – Full-time
Remuneration: circa $105k plus super and attractive salary packaging options
An opportunity to make a difference
Caxton Legal Centre represents the interests of people who are disadvantaged or low-income earners when they come into contact with the Law. Caxton is seeking a Legal Practice Director to work in our Family, Domestic Violence and Elder Law Practice. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading and supervising a team of lawyers and social workers in the Practice across a range of programs including family law advice program, family law and domestic violence duty lawyer roster, and the Seniors Legal and Support Service which provides advice to older people who are at risk of or experiencing elder abuse. The main areas of law are family law, domestic violence, guardianship and administration, common law (equitable interests), consumer and debt. The successful applicant is expected to have a high level of understanding of the socio-economic-political-legal context that affects the lives of marginalised and disadvantaged clients and communities who may access Caxton Legal Centre’s services.
- Lead the Family, Domestic Violence & Elder Law Practice, to enable the provision of advice, information, referrals and casework to clients by lawyers, social workers, volunteers and students
- Deal with complex legal matters associated with family law, domestic violence and elder abuse law
- Determine the most appropriate ways to deliver services in line with funding agreements in a client-centred manner and which promotes Caxton’s vision
- Daily management and supervision of Practice staff
- Responsible for compliance with the requirements of holding a Principal Practising Certificate
- As a member of the Executive Management Team, contribute to the strategic direction of the organisation
- Develop and maintain key stakeholder relationships
- Accountable for team member file reviews
- Bachelor of Laws
- Ability to obtain a limited principal practising certificate
- Experience in the following areas of law: family, domestic violence, guardianship and administration, equity, consumer, debt.
- Current Drivers Licence
The successful applicant will have the ability to work with clients with complex legal and social issues and provide advice to clients who may have an impairment or be culturally or linguistically diverse.
If you are interested in joining a team who are highly committed to social justice and value diversity and human rights, please send your cover letter addressing the key accountabilities and essential requirements along with your CV quoting reference: FELT1002 to email@example.com.
Applications must be received by close of business Monday 15 July 2019. Due to the high volume of applications, only those successful in gaining an interview will be contacted.
Caxton Legal Centre Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer.
Caxton Legal Centre Inc., established in 1976, is a leading non-profit organisation providing high-quality free legal, social work, law reform and community education services.